Storylines by yearEdit
- Main article: Storylines (1992)
- The first episode airs, featuring the now infamous line "You're not in Guatemala now, Dr Ropata!"
- Kirsty Knight (Angela Dotchin) is the victim of an attempted rape by Darryl Neilson (Mark Ferguson).
- Main article: Storylines (1993)
- Nurse Carrie Burton (Lisa Crittenden) gives birth to triplets.
- Dr. Leonard Dodds (Marton Csokas) and cafe owner Gina Rossi (Josephine Davison) marry.
- Main article: Storylines (1994)
- Nurse Steve Mills (Andrew Binns) and TP Aleni are killed in a car crash.
- The 500th episode of Shortland Street airs in April.
- A kiss between Dr. Meredith Fleming (Stephanie Wilkin) and Nurse Annie Flynn (Rebecca Hobbs) sparks controversy.
- Stuart Neilson (Martin Henderson) objects to the marriage of Kirsty Knight (Angela Dotchin) and Lionel Skeggins (John Leigh).
- Main article: Storylines (1995)
- Sir Bruce Warner (Ken Blackburn) revealed that Margot Warner (Glynis McNicoll) was not Guy's (Craig Parker) mother and that he had an affair which resulted in his conception. This could explain the hostile nature between Guy and Chris (Michael Galvin)
- After getting drunk and enraging a truck driver who raped her, scheming Nurse Carla Crozier, Ellen Crozier's sister, managed to persuade him to kill himself by driving his truck into the clinic. Receptionist Kirsty Skeggins (née Knight), received the full force of the crash, and was put into a coma. On waking a few days later, she could not remember the last two years of her life, including her marriage to, and love for, cafe owner Lionel Skeggins. Kirsty eventually got her memory back, but found her love for Lionel was gone, possibly never there to begin with, and the two eventually divorced amicably.
- In that same crash other characters, including Nurse Carmen Roberts (Theresa Healey), received minor injuries. While Carmen had complained of a bump to the head, she was adamant that she did not need admitting to hospital, choosing instead to be at home with her family on Christmas Eve. Her partner, Guy Warner (Craig Parker) had proposed to Carmen was attending to the baby when she dropped dead due to a brain aneurysm, leaving him to raise their baby daughter Tuesday (Olivia Tennet) alone.
- Main article: Storylines (1996)
- In April, Shortland Street marks its 1000th episode with an earthquake storyline and the murder of Bernie Leach, by his psychotic wife Carla (née Crozier), nurse Ellen Crozier's sister. Carla then attempted suicide by slashing her wrists in the bathtub, only to be discovered by her niece, Minnie Crozier. When Carla eventually came to in hospital and very much alive, she turned even more psychotic and was eventually admitted to a psychiatric facility by Ellen. Carla then tried to strangle Ellen on one of her visits, after which Ellen cut all ties with her sister.
- Future New Zealand Prime Ministers Jenny Shipley and Helen Clark make special appearances in an episode involving Marj Neilson's exit storyline as Marj visits the beehive to begin her new job as an M.P.
- In the first of two one hour episodes of Shortland Street in 1996, the clinic staff are taken hostage.
- The second one hour episode of Shortland Street for that year is the season finale, and features location scenes shot on location in Fiji, the storyline being David Kearney's search for his estranged partner Ellen Crozier.
- Main article: Storylines (1997)
- The fifth Anniversary of Shortland Street is marked by the marriage of Dr. David Kearney (Peter Elliot) and nursing manager, Ellen Crozier (Robyn Malcolm).
- Main article: Storylines (1998)
- Baby Rose Crozier-Kearney dies of SIDS.
- Shortland Street celebrates its 1500th episode in May.
- Oscar Henry, the controlling ex boyfriend of Minnie Crozier (Katrina Devine), rapes her in her home after they split up.
- A pregnant Tiffany Marinovich (Alison James) slipped and fell from the roof of a high-rise while trying to stop a patient attempting suicide. The patient was later admitted to a psychiactric ward.
- Main article: Storylines (1999)
- Lionel Skeggins (John Leigh) is presumed drowned on his wedding day to Dr. Mackenzie Choat (Ingrid Park).
- Mackenzie murders Oscar Henry by making his hospital room explode.
- Main article: Storylines (2000)
- Another earthquake strikes, causing the clinic to sink due to Soil Liquefaction. The clinic shifts to a bigger premises nearby – (in reality this storyline was necessitated by the movement of the Shortland Street studios from Browns Bay to Henderson).
- Shortland Street's 2000th episode features the wedding of paramedica Rangi Heremaia (Blair Strang) and medical assistant Donna Heka (Stephanie Tauevihi).
- Nick Harrison (Karl Burnett) and his partner, paramedic Ange Weaver (Katherine Hubbard) celebrate the arrival of their son Lucas.
- Main article: Storylines (2001)
- A cast cull leads to the exits of 14 characters, with new characters such as Nurse Toni Thompson (Laura Hill), The Heywood and Hudson Families coming in to replace them.
- Main article: Storylines (2002)
- Shortland Street celebrates its tenth anniversary in May, followed by its 2500th episode in June.
- After a tumultuous eight year courtship, Nick Harrison (Karl Burnett)and Waverley Wilson (Claire Chitham) finally marry.
- Main article: Storylines (2003)
- Tama Hudson and Shannon Te Ngaru are devastated by the death of their newborn son Ngakau Kahu, to Streptococcus B.
- Nurse Anne Kahu embarks on a scandalous affair with son-in-law Nelson Copeland.
- Dr. Geoff Greenlaw's body is found frozen in a chiller, sparking off a whodunit storyline that becomes Shortland Street's main focus over the following year.
- Nurse Anne Kahu is crushed and killed in a building collapse as the result of business mogul, Rex Treherne's (Raymond Hawthorne) shoddy building practices.
- Main article: Storylines (2004)
- Shortland Street celebrates its 3000th episode in June with an episode focusing on the two remaining original cast members, Dr. Chris Warner (Michael Galvin) and Nick Harrison (Karl Burnett). In the episode Chris struggles with his attraction to Lucy Swinton (Sally Stockwell), only to learn that she is sleeping with his old foe Dominic Thompson (Shane Cortese), while Nick and Waverley (Claire Chitham) celebrate the birth of their new baby girl, Tina-Anne.
- Dominic Thompson's return marked his second reign of terror, during which he frames Dr. Victor Kahu for Geoff Greenlaw's murder; murdered his PA, Avril Lucich by drowning her in a bathtub; left teenager Scarlett Valentine (Nicole Thomson) in a coma after pushing her down the stairs to prevent her identifying him; framed Bernadette Lucich (Avril's twin sister) for fraud and finally stealing Chris Warner's identity and money before attempting to kill him in a jealous murder-suicide ploy which resulted in Dominic being severely burnt in an explosion and dying after confessing to Geoff and Avril's murders.
- Shortland Street screens a one hour episode on Christmas Day, featuring the marriage of Tama Hudson and Shannon Te Ngaru.
- Main article: Storylines (2005)
- Chris Warner (Michael Galvin) marries Toni Thompson (Laura Hill).
- Nick, Waverley, Lucas and Tina-Anne depart Ferndale for Taranaki.
- Norman Hansen (Jacob Tomuri) dies following a car accident.
- Main article: Storylines (2006)
- On February 14, 2006, Shortland Street was the first soap opera to feature a Civil Union between lesbian couple, Maia Jeffries and Jay Copeland.
- A deadly virus outbreak in Shortland Street Hospital claims the life of Dr. Li Mei Chen a year after her boyfriend Norman died.
- Shortland Street films two episodes on location in Rotorua.
- The love-triangle between Huia Samuels, Dr. Craig Valentine and Dr. Sarah Potts comes to an explosive end when Huia is killed in a car bombing in the hospital carpark meant for Anthony Richards. Those responsible where never identified until 2008 when those responsible are revealed to be Don Lennox and thugs who are members of the whitetails and were hired by Scott Spear. With this storyline it also introduces Dev Robin Gardener whom appears again in 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- Main article: Storylines (2007)
- Scarlett Valentine was a target of schoolyard bullying moved to Australia after she tried to run over ex-boyfriend Hunter McKay who also had his share on problems being underage for a safe sex campaign and for forming a relationship with widow Tess Adamson.
- Maia Jefferies desire for a baby led her use her brother-in-law Mark Weston as a sperm donor. The father's identify was discovered by Jay. After learning of Jay's death, Maia was consoled by her mother Yvonne and sister Tania when Mark announced he was the baby's father. Maia then went into labour.
- Sarah Potts marries TK Samuels, but their honeymoon was short-lived, as she returned to work after ex-boyfriend and E.D. head Craig Valentine suffered a heart attack.
- Toni Warner took son Harry and fled to Australia with brother-in-law Guy and his daughter Tuesday having discovered husband Chris with Rachel McKenna and then learnt of his affair with Justine Jones from Guy. They later returned to New Zealand, but as to what happened during that time has not been revealed. Their return in December 2007 ended with the four upsidedown in a wrecked car driven by Guy.
- From early July, a serial killer dubbed "The Ferndale Strangler", had the women of Shortland Street Hospital living in fear when several were found strangled with surgical procedures carried out on their bodies. The victims: receptionist Claire Solomon found in a rubbish skip outside the hospital; nurse Meg Harris found in a skip outside The I.V.; bar owner Jay Copeland found in bushes near the hospital; nurse Beth Wilson was abducted from her home and found a week later by river; and nurse Brenda Holloway was given a lethal injection on Halloween night by someone in a Halloween mask after discovering crucial evidence regarding mysterious cardiac arrests. Undercover policewoman Tracey Morrison, posing as a nurse, had a narrow escape when she was found sedated in a skip behind The I.V., markings on her torso indicated surgical procedures – she was moved to a safe-house. Gavin Capper and Justin Salt were arrested on an unrelated case. The police assumed Gavin was the Ferndale Strangler, however the last episode for 2007 revealed that the Ferndale Strangler was in fact, nurse Joey Henderson when he pulled IV tubing from his pocket and was seen about strangle nurse Tania Jeffries having learnt she was in a relationship with doctor Kip Denton.
- Main article: Storylines (2008)
- With the identity of the Ferndale Strangler revealed, viewers saw Joey Henderson fail in his attempt to strangle Tania Jeffries. Joey then set his sights on nurse Shanti Kumari after finding out that she is betrothed to Dinesh Jivani, while also dating James "Scotty" Scott. Joey later turned his frustration onto Alice Piper who he kidnapped and kept in a storage unit where he gave her an appendectomy. Alice managed to escape her 'prison' when she stabbed Joey's leg, piercing his femoral artery which began bleeding profusely. Craig and Kieran arrived at the lock-up. Craig found a bleeding Joey who pretended to die. As Craig turned away, Joey limped off, only to be pursued and caught by Kieran on the roof. Rather than surrendering to the police, Joey committed suicide by jumping off the building.
- The aftermath of the high-speed car crash saw Toni, Harry and Tuesday Warner admitted to Shortland Street Hospital and Guy Warner taken to Central. Tuesday and Harry have minor injuries, Toni lost one of her kidneys and later returned to work. Guy was seriously ill and placed in an induced coma for a time. Eventually Guy started drug rehabilitation at Shortland Street hospital, under the care of Scotty, and for a time refused to enter a rehabilition centre paid for by his brother. Guy later caused a sensation by publishing a book about the Warners and Chris' relationship with various women, alluding to him offering promotion for sex which was incorrect. Guy left for the States and Tuesday followed soon after.
- Teenage cousins, Wiremu Potae and Tane Samuels returned to Ferndale as Shortland Street tackled the issue of teenage driving. This storyline's dramatic climax occurred when the boys, along with Sophie McKay and Tuesday Warner, become involved in street-racing with illegally modified cars. Wiremu had been warned by another of the boy racers that his car wasn't safe but ignored that advice and proceeded to race, following an incident involving Sophie and one of the other boys. Wiremu, with Sophie, lost control of his car at high-speed when it hit a pot-hole. He hit Tane, leaving him in a crumpled heap on the road. Justine Jones performed surgery on Tane and later told him he may not walk again. TK Samuels and Sarah Potts learnt from the police that car was unwarranted and had been illegally altered. Wiremu was charged with operating a dangerous vehicle. Both Tuesday and Sophie have nightmares of the accident. Tuesday admitted that she relives the car crash that involved her father. The two boys fell out and Wiremu drank a full bottle of whisky which left him in a coma and close to death. Wiremu recovered; Tane spoke to a paralysis counsellor about life in a wheelchair and plans to become a nurse.
- Original series regular, Dr. Hone Ropata (Temuera Morrison) returns in Episode 4000 for a six week guest-stint.
- Norovirus was identified on an incoming patient and Toni Warner unwittingly became exposed to the disease but thought it was a stomach bug which Harry had a few days earlier. On June 12, 2008 June, Sarah Potts found Toni asleep and woke her, then realised she was severely dehydrated, and rushes her to the E.D. Toni's close call stirred Chris' protective instincts and when her test results returned, it became apparent that her surviving kidney was irreparably damaged. Toni was floored at the news that she would need dialysis for the rest of her life. Chris vowed to do everything he could to care for her, and insisted that she moved back home. A reluctant but grateful Toni accepted, and Harry was delighted that Mummy was finally returning home. However, due to an unexpected reaction to the dialysis, Toni's blood pressure dropped and Harry watched on in horror as Sarah, TK, Alice and Scotty fought to save Toni's life. Chris arrived too late, it's out on his dreadful shock he struggled to realise that Toni had died. A post mortem determined Toni died from cardiac arrest. A few days later Toni was farewelled at an emotional funeral. With Chris on bereavement leave, Callum was acting CEO, a role Riley wants him assume full-time.
- Problems with drugs supplied by Scott Spear were found to have been severely diluted and some patients had died as a result. Among them was Toni Warner. Doctors Craig Valentine and Justine Jones began to investigate the source. Anthony Richards, a former Scott-Spear drug company employee who was in hiding, fearing retaliation, alerted Craig and Justine to a journal containing drug cover-ups. When Craig eventually got his hands on the ledger, he was pursued by whitetail thugs who forced his SUV off the road and then chased him around a wooded area. Craig's heart problems resurfaced, which led to him being captured, beaten to death, then torched in his SUV. Justine Jones then became a target when Don Lennox and the whitetails were hired by Scott Spear to kill her. After Justine discovered a bomb in her car, she used it to fake her death and escape with a new identity to Australia where she is under witness protection.
- Ferndale residents continue to be admitted to emergency department following attacks by the Whitetails gang. A gang member fired shots into the operating theatre where Chris Warner, Morgan Braithwaite, Ethan Pierce and Tania Jefferies were attending to a Whitetail stabbing victim. The shooter had evaded security and receptionist Gerald Tippett, wounded Ethan, and Nurse Morgan was knocked unconscious. The shooter later revealed to Chris that he was the target to put him off making further inquiries about Scott Spear.
- Callum McKay wrongly accused TK Samuels of causing Brooke Freeman to resign her Shortland Street position, unaware that revelations by a would-be patient and media revealed Brooke's true identity as Brooke Marsden. Chris Warner persuaded her to stay with him until things settled down, unaware that she was the cause of problems between him and Harry. Brooke suggested Harry see a psychologist who suggested he be sent to a camp for disturbed children, which Brooke thought was a great idea, but Chris refused, leading to Brooke moving out.
- Sarah Potts finally accepted that she has multiple sclerosis and resigned as Head of E.D., much to the astonishment of her husband TK. Her pregnancy also played a factor in her decision to resign. Soon after she was appointed acting Chief Executive Officer when Callum McKay was stood down pending an investigation over his shares in Nessus Bio, a company that Ethan Pierce has encouraged him to invest in.
- Kieran Mitchell unwittingly discovered that the new head of surgery, Ethan Pierce was involved with funeral home operator Sterling Haldane in a body harvesting operation. Tissue from one of the bodies was used in several patients that included Timothy Carson, a 10-year old with muscular dystrophy, who had come in for a spine operation a few months earlier, and hospital receptionist Yvonne Jeffries. It was subsequently discovered that Timothy had contracted HIV through an infected DBM, which shocked Ethan. He then confronted Haldane, and was furious to discover death certificates had been falsified. He also discovered that the DBM that infected Timothy came from a transient sex worker – not a heart attack victim as stated on Haldane's paperwork. Yvonne Jeffries was found to have cancer resulting from a graft of bone material supplied by Ethan's company Nessus Bio, something that CEO, Callum McKay was unaware of as Ethan had persuaded him to buy shares. An elderly woman abandoned at the hospital by her family was befriended by Ethan, who then had Kieran drive her to the funeral home on the pretence that she was to view to husband's body. She was killed by Ethan for her body parts. Ethan was in midst of surgery when he abruptly walk and meet up with Callum and rather than face the consequences Ethan knocked Callum to the ground and fled, pursued by Brooke who had earlier revealed to Alice what Ethan was really like. Many of those who had encounters with Ethan Pierce wanted him dead. Ethan was scared that Haldane would tell the police so he killed him. Kieran had hired Don to go after Ethan with a high-powered rifle but the gun that ended Pierce's life was a pistol which sent three bullets into his body. In 2009, the unknown assassin was then revealed to be Maia Jeffries who was under a mental breakdown before she killed him for all the hurt and grief he caused for those she loved.
- Main article: Storylines (2009)
- Ethan Pierce dies on the beach in Brooke Freeman's arms.
- Tania Jeffries and Kingi Te Wake survive thanks to a Whitetails gang member 2pac whom turned good thanks to Kingi.
- Sarah Potts becomes Acting C.E.O after Callum McKay is dismissed due to the Nessus Bio scandal.
- Nurse Maia Jeffries is forced to confess she shot Ethan Pierce when Alice Piper remembers she was there the day of the murder. Alice promises to stick by Maia and keep it a secret.
- Sarah Potts and TK Samuels elect to terminate her pregnancy when they learn the baby has a disease.
- Ethan Pierce makes a surprise return as a hallucination of Maia Jeffries after she is sent to a mental institution.
- Justine Jones returned for the trial of Scott Spear but she is still hunted by Don Lennox the whitetail gang. Justine also ended her marriage to husband Callum McKay on learning he is in love with Brooke Freeman.
- On October 19, Shortland Street Hospital lost beloved nurse Shanti Kumari when she was accidentally infected with dengue fever by Oliver Ritchie.
- Rachel Mckenna returned to Shortland Street Hospital to supervise CEO Callum McKay and to try and win back the affections of Chris Warner.
- The 2009 season ended with Kieran accidentally killing Morgan Braithwaite by hit and run, a lot of the storylines of the year focused on her.
- Main article: Storylines (2010)
- Gerald, Hunter and Nicole discover the lifeless body of Morgan the night after the Christmas Party.
- Kieran and Sophie's big wedding gets interrupted by Kieran's ex girlfriend Libby Jeffries who has evidence that Kieran killed Morgan.
- Hunter gives a drug addict some clean needles and her friend stabs him with a used needle possibly infecting him with HIV. In an episode aired May 31 2010 it is revealed he was not infected with HIV after blood tests taken after the stabbing revealed this.
- Kieran starts to get blackmailed by an unknown source, it is eventually revealed as his new waitress Jane. Jane claims she met up with Kierans brother Sid in Thailand and that he hold told her the whole story. Kieran called her bluff and has managed to convince her to keep quiet after sleeping with her and promising that he will infact pay her money.
- After a fight at the supermarket, Hunter is stabbed with a screw driver and Ben is knocked to the ground hitting his head hard on the pavement. Ben develops a brain hemorrhage and eventually is declared brain dead after surgery.
|Character||Date||Cause of Death|
|Miles Lucas||1992||Suicide||Died after intentionally overdosing on headache pills after Stuart Neilson's birthday party.|
|Nurse Sarah Donnelly||1992||Melanoma||Died in the arms of boyfriend, Steve Mills at her birthday party.|
|Tom Neilson||1993||Heart attack||Tom had mysteriously disappeared that year but returned wanting a kidney transplant, unfortunately after the transplant Tom died of a heart attack|
|Jean-Luc Mafart||1993||Fell to death||Alison had married him overseas and returned after he had turned out to be abusive. They had a fight on a rooftop and he eventually fell to his death. Darryl Neilson helped Alison cover up the crime.|
|Nurse Steve Mills||1994||Car accident||Died in the explosion of a vehicle he crashed after a heated argument with Chris Warner while driving. He initially survived the crash but was killed when he went back to the over turned vehicle to rescue Talita Pahele (TP) Aleni and it exploded.|
|Talita Pahele (TP) Aleni||1994||Car accident||Died in the explosion of a vehicle crashed by Steve Mills.|
|Darryl Neilson||1995||Drowning||Drowned after falling from the boat 'The Toroa' after attempting to murder Kirsty Knight.|
|Richard Thornton||1995||Broken neck||The broken neck was caused by a fall.|
|Sir Bruce Warner||1995||Cancer|
|Nurse Carmen Roberts||Template:Dts||Brain hemorrhage||Suffered from a brain hemorrhage from a knock to the head after madman drove his truck through the entrance to the clinic. She was sent home and died at the house boat 'The Toroa' that evening.|
|Bernie Leach||1996|| Bludgeoned|
|Bludgeoned to death with a candlestick by Carla Crozier-Leach in Episode 1000.|
|Rebecca Frost||1997||Faulty heart valve|
|Annabelle Lustwick||1997||Euthanasia||Assisted by Caroline Buxton.|
|Baby Rose Crozier-Kearney||1998||SIDS|
|Tiffany Marinovich||1998||Fall||Fell from a high-rise building after trying to talk down a suicide jumper. She was successful but slipped as she tried to get away from the ledge. She was pregnant at the time and later died in hospital. Her baby miraculously survived and was born via C section before Tiffanys life support was switched off.|
|Dr. Michael McKenna||1999||Heart attack|
|Lionel Skeggins||1999||Drowning||Went missing, presumed drowned.|
|Oscar Henry||1999|| Explosion|
|Murdered by Dr. MacKenzie Choat.|
|Earl Crombie||1999||Car accident|
|Dr. Laura Hall||2001||Heart attack|
|Eamon Dempsey||2001||Fall||Fell off a cliff|
|Rangi Heremaia||2001|| Drug Overdose|
|Murdered by Kim Tairoa|
|Jack Hewitt||2001|| Hit by a Car|
|James Kingi||2002|| Gangland Stabbing|
|Murdered by Kurt Matakuare.|
|Connie McAllister||2002||Euthanasia||Assisted by Dr. Geoff Greenlaw.|
|Lady Margot Warner||2003||Cancer|
|Baby Te Ngakau Hudson||2003||Streptococcus B|
|Max Henley||2003||Brain haemorrhage|
|Dr. Geoff Greenlaw||2003|| Hypothermia|
|Froze to death in a chiller, murdered by Dominic Thompson.|
|Nurse Anne Greenlaw Kahu||2003|| Crush Injuries|
|Was crushed in a building collapse. A result of her father Rex Treherne's dodgy building practices.|
|Nurse Layla Cornwall||2004|| Hanging|
|Rex Treherne||2004||Heart attack|
|Avril Lucich||Template:Dts|| Drowning|
|Drowned in a bathtub, murdered by Dominic Thompson.|
|Dominic Thompson||Template:Dts|| Explosion|
|Failed attempted murder-suicide with arch-enemy, Chris Warner.|
|Baby James Warner||2005||Miscarriage||Miscarried by Toni Warner at 6 months.|
|Norman Hanson||Template:Dts||Car accident||Died of injuries sustained in a car accident.|
|Ian Jeffries||Template:Dts|| Fall|
|Jumped off a cliff. Was suffering from Kennedy's disease.|
|Dr. Li Mei Chen||Template:Dts||Illness||Died in the hospital outbreak of Stryker Virus.|
|Huia Samuels||Template:Dts|| Car Bombing|
|The bomb was meant for Anthony Richards, a former employee of the dodgy pharmaceutical company. In 2008, thugs who are members of the whitetails and were hired by Scott Spear were revealed to be behind the blast.|
|Claire Solomon||Template:Dts|| Strangled|
|Naked body found in a rubbish skip outside the hospital, murdered by Joey Henderson, aka The Ferndale Strangler who killed her for using him to make Kieran jealous.|
|Nurse Meg Harris||Template:Dts|| Strangled|
|Naked body found in a rubbish skip outside The I.V., murdered by Joey Henderson, aka The Ferndale Strangler.|
|Jay Copeland||Template:Dts|| Strangled|
|Naked body found in the bush close to the hospital, murdered by Joey Henderson, aka The Ferndale Strangler as he was uncomfortable with her sexuality.|
|Nurse Beth Wilson||Template:Dts|| Strangled|
|Body found (off-screen) a week after being abducted from her home, murdered by Joey Henderson, aka The Ferndale Strangler.|
|Nurse Brenda Holloway||Template:Dts|| Cardiac arrest resulting from a lethal injection|
|Injected with suxamethonium by a person disguised in a Halloween mask, murdered by Joey Henderson, aka The Ferndale Strangler.|
|Nurse Joey Henderson||Template:Dts|| Fall|
|Jumped off the roof of an inner-city storage unit building to avoid capture when being cornered by Detective Lara Wade and police.|
|Nurse Toni Warner||Template:Dts|| Cardiac arrest caused by renal failure due to a faulty drug|
|Died of cadiac arrest caused by renal failure due a faulty drug distributed by Scott Spear.|
|Dr. Craig Valentine||Template:Dts|| Beaten to death|
|Beaten unconscious by Don Lennox and whitetail thugs hired by Scott Spear before he was then torched.|
|Baby Kelly Piper||Template:Dts||Complications from premature birth||Causes of the death included pneumonia and renal failure|
|Betty Crawford||Template:Dts|| Lethal injection of potassium|
|Pensioner "granny-dumped" at the hospital by family, murdered by Dr. Ethan Pierce for body parts to supply his body harvesting operation|
|Sterling Haldane||Template:Dts|| Lethal injection|
|Murdered by Dr. Ethan Pierce to cover his tracks regarding their harvesting operation|
|Dr. Ethan Pierce||Template:Dts||Shot three times.||Died in Dr. Brooke Freeman's arms. Nurse Maia Jeffries was later revealed to be the killer but was under a mental breakdown, which was caused by all the hurt and grief he'd caused those she loved.|
|Ryan Smith-Reynolds||Template:Dts||Died of injuries as result of car crash. (Off screen)||He had been persuaded by Daniel Potts to deliver stolen Mp3 players.|
|Nurse Shanti Kumari-Scott||Template:Dts||Ectopic Pregnancy.||Shanti died of an Ectopic Pregnancy when Oliver Ritchie accidentally infected her with Dengue Fever, which masked the symptoms of her death.|
|Don Lennox||Template:Dts||Died of injuries as result of gunshot to chest. (Off screen)||Bought into hospital under false identity and operated on by Chris Warner who identified him as the killer of Craig Valentine.|
|Nurse Morgan Braithwaite||Template:Dts|| Hit and Run|
|Kieran Mitchell accidentally ran her over and framed a drunken Rachel Mckenna by putting her in the driver's seat.|
|Heather Sloane||Template:Dts||Cancer||Ben Goodall's ex lover, died on the operating table|
|Ben Goodall||Template:Dts||Brain Hemorrhage||Developed brain hemorrhage after being hit in the head and was pronounced brain dead on May 31st, was kept alive by machines until 8th June.|
|Character||Date||Cause of "Death"||Notes|
|Dr. Ian Seymour||January 1998||Presumed suicide by drowning.||Nearly five months after going on the run for the attempted murder Kirsty Knight (amidst other crimes), his car was found abandoned by the sea, and police assumed he'd committed suicide. The following month it was revealed that Ian was still alive.|
|Alex McKenna||November 1998||Sudden illness while in Tibet||Alex's estranged husband Michael and daughter Rachel received news from a Tibetan monastery of Alex's death. In 2002 Rachel discovered that Alex was alive and well, reports of her death having been exaggerated as part of a callous plot on Alex's part to spend some time apart from the rest of her family.|
|Dr. Justine Jones||Template:Dts||Car Bombing||Justine faked her death to escape Don Lennox and the whitetails hired by Scott Spear to kill her. She fled to Australia and returned to testify at the trial of Scott Spear.|
This list contains all the marriages and civil unions that have occurred on Shortland Street. Note that it contains marriages that were aborted at the last minute.
- Note – (1) indicates a non legal marriage.
|1992||May McKenna||George Bentley||Michael believed George was marrying his mother for her money, however this was not the case|
|1993||Carrie Burton||Declan Kennedy||Off-screen wedding that took place in Las Vegas.|
|1993||Leonard Dodds||Gina Rossi|
|1994||Talita Palele||Sam Aleni|
|1994||Marjorie Neilson||Laurie Brasch|
|1995||Kirsty Knight||Lionel Skeggins||Second attempt at a wedding.|
|1995||Rachel McKenna||Nick Harrison||A marriage of convenience in order to benefit from student income while at university|
|1995||Carla Crozier||Bernie Leach||Offscreen wedding|
|1996||Tiffany Pratt||Chris Warner|
|1997||Alison Rayner||Chris Warner||Off screen wedding in the States|
|1997||Ellen Crozier||David Kearney|
|1998||Tiffany Pratt||Johnny Marinovich|
|1999||Mackenzie Choate||Lionel Skeggins||Groom was presumed lost at sea hours after the wedding.|
|1999||Josie Bergman||Luke Bellingham|
|2000||Moira Crombie||Dean Cochrane|
|2000||Donna Heka||Rangi Heremaia||This wedding occurred on Shortland Street's 2000th episode.|
|2001 (1)||Angela Weaver||Nick Harrison||Decided not to legally marry, took advantage of the empty church after Fergus and Waverley's aborted wedding to make personal and private vows to love each other always in an unofficial ceremony|
|2002||Anne Greenlaw||Victor Kahu|
|2002||Waverley Wilson||Nick Harrison|
|2003||Toni Thompson||Matt McAllister||Eloped by train for an off-screen wedding|
|2003||Judy Brownlee||Max Henley||Max was a cancer patient and moments after the wedding he passed away|
|2003||Dominic Thompson||Emily Bredican||Delphi Greenlaw attempted to stop the wedding but was locked in a cupboard by Dominic and Toni's mother Ngaire|
|2004||Shannon Te Ngaru||Tama Hudson||Married on the beach and substituted shells for their lost wedding rings.|
|2005||Toni Thompson||Chris Warner|
|2006||Sarah Potts||Andrew Solomon||Just after the "I do's," Robyn Stokes gatecrashed, announcing Andrew was the father of her unborn twin girls.|
|2007||Tania Jeffries||Mark Weston||Off-screen wedding|
|2007||Sarah Potts||TK Samuels||Sarah had butterflies in her stomach before the wedding so she went back to work, Craig was there and he drove her back to the wedding himself.|
|2008||Shanti Kumari||James "Scotty" Scott||Second attempt – Married in a four-day ceremony observed by family and friends|
|2009||Morgan Braithwaite||Gerald Tippett||Morgan insisted that they get married during the wedding rehearsal, the overhearing Libby gives in. Hunter disappears and Chris Warner ends up being the Best Man|
|2010||Sophie McKay||Kieran Mitchell||Tricked Sophies brother, Hunter and father, Callum into attending. They were married at the McKay house. However, it didn't last long|
|1993||Alison Rayner||Chris Warner||The wedding was cancelled after Darryl Neilson locked Chris in a barn for the duration of the wedding.|
|1994||Kirsty Knight||Lionel Skeggins||The wedding was aborted after Stuart Neilson objected to the marriage.|
|2001||Waverley Wilson||Fergus Kearney||The wedding was aborted when Fergus fled as the the police arrived at the church to arrest him for his involvement in an immigration scam.|
|2008||Shanti Kumari||James "Scotty" Scott||The wedding was aborted after Dinesh Jivani and Sunil Kumari arrived to stop the wedding.|
|2010||Sophie McKay||Kieran Mitchell||The wedding was stopped when Libby Jeffries and the police arrived before everyone including Rachel finally realises that it was actually Kieran who killed Morgan Braithwaite in the hit and run accident on the night of the 2009 christmas party.|
|2006||Maia Jeffries||Jay Copeland||Took place on Valentine's Day and was the first civil union on a New Zealand primetime television programme.|